Meet Kim Petersen – brilliant author of the upcoming book, Charting the Unknown

kim1Back in August I wrote a post about falling in love with a particular manuscript and that I was infinitely fearful that my little heart would be broken – as it usually is once I get further into a manuscript.

Well, I’m giddy to report that not only did that beloved manuscript hold up, but I just got back the signed contract the other day.  Everyone, meet Kim Petersen – the object of my previous post and talented author of Charting the Unknown. Kim, everyone.

Kim’s story scratches my every literary itch, and I can’t wait to launch this book to readers in 2010. Kim’s story is about choices. In a way, it reminds me of The Bucket List – a dreadful movie, but a great idea. We all make little lists for ourselves when we’re young, stupid, and achingly idealistic, right? By the time I’m 40, I’ll have scaled Mt. Whitney, lunched with yaks, and written the Great American Novel.

Some lists are better than others. Well Kim and her husband stumbled across their old list they’d made when they first got married. After some tragedy and growing malaise, Kim’s discovery of that list seemed prophetic, and they set about fulfilling those promises.

The biggie on the list was to say, “Stuff it. Let’s get out of the rat race and sail the world on our homemade boat,” aptly named Chrysalis.  Now I don’t know about any of you, but that takes no small amount of guts and faith – especially when you have two kids. But they did it.

And that’s the lovely part of this book; they did exactly what so many of us dream of doing. It’s so easy to allow all the white noise to distract us from our fears and all the things that really matter. How many of us make a conscious choice to quiet the white noise and confront ourselves honestly – warts and all – and do something daring and borderline insane?

There is a lot of trust one must place in their crew and themselves when there is no visible land for eight days. This journey put Kim in touch with her biggest fears in a place where she was incapable of outrunning them. How many of us can say that? It’s painfully easy to sweep all the gunk in our lives under a carpet. But when your carpet is clear, blue ocean, it takes on a whole new level of immediacy. Reading Kim’s story was  a true privilege, and I knowthat once you are able to hold this beautiful book in your hands sometime next year, you’ll be glad you took my advice and kept the Kleenex box nearby.

Kim has a wonderful website that details all the aspects of how they pulled this off for four years – without killing each other.

In the meantime, it’s into the editing quarters. Avast, matey! And, Kim? Welcome aboard. The honor is mine.

19 Responses to Meet Kim Petersen – brilliant author of the upcoming book, Charting the Unknown

1. GutsyWriter says:

I am so happy to hear that you received the signed contract from Kim Petersen. I can’t wait to read her story and wish her all the best with her book promotion.

2. Kim Petersen says:

Thanks so much for your kind and generous words, Lynn! I am so looking forward to working with you and your staff!

3. Mark Petersen says:

I am a completely biased brother-in-law to Kim, and want to congratulate you on ‘charting the unknown’ with a previously unpublished author. This is the first book of many seeded in this thoughtful woman; I know we will all be enriched through your introducing Kim to the public. Many thanks.

4. Mark, what an adorable thing to say about your sis-in-law. Kim’s talent screams off of every page. The honor is all mine, believe me.

5. Reg Petersen says:

Lynn, how did you find my daughter in law? She will surprise you, inspire you, motivate you, compliment you and enhance your life. She’s done that and more for me and many others. Congratulations!

6. Reg, you have to ask Kim, as she found me – much to my good fortune.

7. Karen Petersen says:

Kim has several things going for her – incredible talent, courage, a gripping story, a hugely supportive family. But the thing that has impressed me the most on her journey to becoming an author is her self discipline. Writing a book is really hard work, much harder than most people realize. I’m so proud of her and am DYING to get my hands on that book hot off the press! (yep, I’m Mark’s wife and have had the privilege of drinking wine on the deck of Chrys with Kim and Mike, her unique and fun-loving husband.)

8. I have to say that I’m enjoying “meeting” the Petersen gang. It warms the depths of my blackened heart to see the love and support y’all have for Kim.

You’re right, Karen, writing a book is hard work – I’ve written two – and we writers can’t do what we do without the cheers of our families.

Just so you know, I’m beyond jealous of drinks on the Chrys. Totally.

9. Joan Nelson says:

I have known Kim all of my life since I held her in my arms when she was just two months old. She was my flower girl in my wedding. She is even more beautiful today than she was then. Kim and I have been on a journey of sorts ever since, as she is my niece. From its very beginnings we have followed her journey day by day, at times with incredible excitement, living vicariously with her family with every wave of tumult and joy that happened on the way. My husband and I were so privileged to journey with them on the Chrysalis in Israel. And I am so psyched to be able to very soon pick up her book to devour its every word. She has so much to teach us.

10. Barb Berg says:

My heart is aching with joy & pride for my “heart” friend. Just by living life, Kim has shoved me outside my comfort zone and into the joyous breaking of boundaries. Now that influence is able to reach a multitude of more people because of the publishing of her book. Congrats to both you and her!!

And you should be very jealous of drinks on board the Chrys – they’re worth their weight in gold.

11. Ok, Kim, I can see you have one of the largest cheer leading squads I’ve seen from an author. This is going to be a hoot!

12. Karen Kennedy says:

Many years ago, we had the privilege of sharing some of our lives with the Petersen family. Time has taken us in different directions, one around the world, and for me to Asia. I anticipate reading about the years I have missed. I am so happy for you Kim. How will get myself a copy of your book way over here!

13. melanie says:

I have known Kim for many years too, and she has always been a bright light, with a ready smile and an honest outlook! I enjoyed living vicariously through her and Mike as they took this journey, and cant wait to read the book! Congratulations Kim!!!

14. Kim Petersen says:

Lynn, I am fortunate to be a part of such company! On the other hand, Mike says he doesn’t know how he’ll ever live with me after all this….

15. Mike will have no worries, Kim. Editing tends to humble everyone; it’s the Great Equalizer.

16. Kim Petersen says:

Thats just what I needed to hear. I am hungry for the hard work and am sure I have a fair bit ahead of me…

17. I never met Kim in person, but was privileged to read an early version of CHARTING THE UNKNOWN, and can attest to the power of her story–it is one that has really stayed with me–and her professionalism and dedication to her craft.

I look forward to the book’s publication in 2010. I plan to buy a few copies and distribute to friends and colleagues. Congratulations, Kim!

18. Dan Wilt says:

As a fond recipient of many of Kim’s informal writings, I can attest to the exuberant spirit and singular voice with which she writes.

Prose, meets narrative, weds poetry in her literary dance through moments in time – seen as sacred through the living magnifying glass that is her fertile mind.

Three cheers to great writing, and to blossoming artists who add their sojourner’s strength to the chrysalis journey that belongs to us all.

The chrysalis of Kim’s experience has been a womb for the birth of many butterflies – both in her and we who will gratefully receive her liberating work.

We are looking forward to giving the book to many, many friends.

19. australia florist…

[…]Meet Kim Petersen – brilliant author of the upcoming book, Charting the Unknown « Behler Blog[…]…

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )