I’ve been riding my bike nigh on fifteen years, and I’ve seen some pretty amazing things over the years. I’m lucky to live off a gorgeous bike path. All I have to do is bike out of my driveway and I’m in the middle of nature. Lovely.
There are always the invariable mountain lion sightings, and about eight years ago I did see one draped across the branches of a very large tree, just staring at me, totally disinterested. Lucky me, since a few bikers have been eaten.
About ten years ago I had a family of deer dart out of the bushes right in front of me. While the sight of them took my breath away, their actions reminded me of some drivers I’ve encountered. I mean, really. There is NO ONE in back of me….couldn’t you have waited? I’m sure they thought the same thing about me, since there was a deer crossing sign.
I remember the time I saw the famed bike path exhibitionist, who loved nothing more than showing his dangling participles to unsuspecting women joggers. I dialed 911 and kept riding. What I really wanted to do is throw him under a boulder.
But things have changed over the years, and my bike ride today [in this gorgeous low-80s day] yielded some really odd [and alarming] things:
- Two grossly overweight duffers with fat tires and crappy bikes who overtook me: 2 [totally humiliating given my whoopedoo bike. Note to self: must get out and ride more often]
- Biker dressed in Speed Racer outfit and hooha bike pulled over for a cigarette break: 1 [WTF?]
- People who nearly ran me off the path: 15 [all kids…all who should be shot]
- Bikers carrying doggies in their baskets: 2 [way too cute for words…dogs looked totally bored, tho]
- Number of kamikaze bunnies who love nothing more than playing a game of chicken with bikers: 12 [all of them should be stew, with carrots, potatoes, and gravy]
- Number of times I smelled the intoxicating perfume of lemon blossoms which line the bike path: 6 [Lordy, how I lurve Spring]
- Number of joggers who didn’t return my friendly “hello”: lost count. [joggers must be very grumpy. Hell, I would be too. Biking is much more fun]
- Number of bikers talking on their cellphones: 2 [WTH? They’re out in the middle of beautiful trees, flowers, and weather, and they’re glued to a cellie? Criminal. Also should be shot]
So what does this have to do with writing? Not a darn thing, only to say that it’s really wonderful to back away from the literary bong now and then in order to regain that sense of balance.