The power of believing in yourself

Too often, I see writers who don’t believe in their own talent, and look to others for verification. Thing is, no one else can fill your literary bucket o’ love. You may have a zillion people tell you that you’re the best thing since the chocolate martini, and you’ll never believe it because you don’t believe in yourself. The trick is to love what you’re doing, regardless of the outcome.

I see this every day in the authors we publish. Every one of them have faced amazing odds and punched through to the other side because they felt some power within that propelled them to carry on. My authors inspire the snot out of me, not just because of their stories, but because they faced huge odds and relied on little more than their own strength.

It takes huge confidence to be in this business, and at the end of the day, you only have your personal burning fire warming your soul propelling you onward.

So that’s my Friday wish for you, lovely readers. And if that’s not enough, just click on the video below. These kids are amazing, and I admit to taking great glee seeing that asshat Simon Cowell left with his pie hole hanging open.

9 Responses to The power of believing in yourself

I am eternally reminding writer friends that the days when you feel you suck, you’ll never sell anything else, etc…are normal, everyone does it. I honestly think its normal for writers to have those kinds of doubts.

2. The sweetest video I’ve watched in ages. Jonathan’s a future star.

3. Pelotard says:

It’s worse than that, Ninj, you *need* those days. They’re very good days to so some editing, because the Force is with your Inner Editor. (If you believe you’re a genious when you’re editing, you’re doing it wrong and will produce crap.) The sort of double-think you’ll have to employ is that your Inner Editor is actually bright enough to cut through the remarkably inane crap you usually type, and produce an end product of sheer brilliance 🙂

4. Laura W. says:

Epic moments in the history of the world. Love those kids’ voices. Because DAMN. Not many people have that kind of voice at the age of 16 or 17.

5. Kim Kircher says:

That’s awesome. I love to see people cut through their fears and perform. If you haven’t seen the youtube video of the 4th grade girl who talks herself into facing her fear and jumping a 30-foot jump, you should check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtGRvP3ILg. She’s my hero.

6. Aw, Kim, that video brought a tear to my eye. You can hear the fear in her breathing, bless her heart. I’d have never had that kind of guts in the fourth grade. Or any grade, for that matter…and I was one gutsy skier in my day. She rocks.

7. Bill Webb says:

Thanks for the pep talk Lynn. About rejection 87 one tends to question whether one ought to take up a career robbing convenience stores.

8. Lorelei says:

I have elaborated the lack of confidence to an epic degree, to the point where anything I can do and do well is obviously useless and not worth doing in the first place. Makes for some pretty solid writer’s block.

9. Colin says:

The best version of this lovely song (The Prayer) I’ve heard to date is by Josh Groban and Sissel Kyrkjebo (a Norwegian classical soprano who goes by Sissell). It’s on youtube. This ranks up there with it. Thank you for posting.