Time flies when you’re havin’ fun

It was 33 years ago today that I married my bestest buddy and love of my life. We’d always referred to ours as an arranged marriage because my dad introduced us when I flew to Saudi Arabia, where Mom and Dad were working. Freddie was my dad’s lead cost engineer, and he used to come into Dad’s office, pick up my picture (which was one of those gawd-awful mall photos that you win in a drawing), saying, “Is this the girl I’m in love with?” What a suck up, though he swears he was being honest. Yah. Right.

But Dad thought the world of  him and introduced us the summer I came to visit. A few months later, Freddie decided not to renew his contract, telling Dad, “What can I say? I’m going to go home and woo your daughter.” Dad wasn’t sure whether to be ticked at losing his lead cost engineer, or be jazzed to be gaining a really cool son-in-law.

Ten months later, we got married. When Freddie proposed that prior January, I’d only known him six months, and three of those had him in Saudi. Looking back on it, I question my sanity. I mean, spending forever with someone you’ve only really been with for seven-ish months must mean there’s a loose screw running free in my head. But I trusted Dad, and I couldn’t deny the kind, generous, warm guy who made me giggle like a fool – and still does.

So here’s to you, Freddie J. You’re the jam in my jelly doughnut. Thank you for such a wild, crazy, fun life. You rock!

10 Responses to Time flies when you’re havin’ fun

1. Damyanti says:

This is such a moving post. I did not know my husband very well either when I married him, but it has turned out well so far.:)

2. ludmilla bollow says:

Congrats to you and Freddie! A special pairing and wonderful outcome. Also, today is MY wedding anniversary, a few years longer, but it’s always a gift to have someone beside you through all the rifts and gifts of life. Celebrate!
    Ludmilla Bollow

3. Hey, this is a landmark day! Congrats to you. I have another good friend who also shares our day. I remember when she called me in a panic (she didn’t realize I was living in the States again) to invite me to her wedding. I just cracked up and told her I’d be a bit busy myself. And hey, they even started a celebration in all our honor…Cinqo de Mayo, or as the kids call it, Cinqo de Drinko.

4. talklady says:

I wish the daily news featured more stories of such verve, love, and commitment. Congratulations, best wishes, and thanks for sharing with us
    p.s. Freddie is better looking than the beagle.

5. Congratulations! You are such a cute couple!

6. Frank Mazur says:

Congrats, and all the best in the years remaining!

7. Vanessa Russell says:

You should be writing romance, Lynn!

8. Fred says:

What can I say, I’m a very, very lucky guy. And no, I wasn’t sucking up, although a guy working for me thought it was a brilliant business move. What a doofus.

9. That is such a great pic:)

Congrats to you both and well done !!!

10. SandySays1 says:

Congrats- My human and his Mrs. just celebrated 31. He stated that the “best friend” is a most important point. And without stating it, a lot of patience.